Cold sores can be triggered in a number of ways, including cold weather. If you have a cold sore and have an appointment with us to see a Dentist or Hygienist we would prefer not to treat you until the [ …more ]
October 29, 2018Taking Care of your teeth at Halloween
Halloween kids treats – how to reduce the sugary effects of eating all those sweeties
Sweet treats are great for kids, only when taken in moderation; in excess they aren’t great for oral health. Sugar consumption without good dental hygiene can lead to tooth decay and cavities.
But, let’s face it, with trick or treating around the corner, there will be lots of opportunities for children to stuff their wee faces with treats.
Learn some simple tips for Halloween oral hygiene:
- Avoid sticky sweets -such as caramel. These types of sweets stick to teeth for a long time.
- Brushing – be sure that your children brush their teeth soon after eating any sugary sweeties. Brushing will lessen the amount of time the sugar stays in contact with the teeth and will help prevent tooth decay.
- Limit consumption –limit the number of sweeties you and the kids consume in a day. A better idea is to hold back candies and eat one or two pieces as an after meal treat. Then have your children immediately brush their teeth to neutralize the sugar.
- Chew gum – Xylitol, a fluoride like substance in sugarless Trident White gum can help remineralize any initial acidic breakdown of enamel.
- Eat a balanced meal – be sure that the kids eat a well balanced meal prior to their trick or treating, to limit their candy consumption.
- Routine dental exam – be sure to visit your Dentist every six months to prevent dental problems and catch any problems as early as possible.
- Tooth friendly Halloween treats – dress up some fruit, have fun, visually exciting means the kids may enjoy more. See photos for some hints and tips on Halloween-inspired fruit.
If you and you kids don’t maintain your teeth properly, you may be opening yourself up to tooth decay, gum disease, and possible tooth loss over time. Properly caring for your teeth, visiting your dentist regularly, and following the tips above can help you and your family keep healthy smiles and enjoy the Halloween festivities.
Need to schedule your and your child’s six month Dental Appointment? Call Cherrytree Dental Practice Today on 01382 736632.